In 2013 Martha’s Vineyard Museum in Edgartown purchased the historic Marine Hospital (1895), a prominent island landmark perched on a hill overlooking Vineyard Haven Harbor. The hospital will be renovated and expanded to house the museum’s growing collection.
STIMSON proposed widening the entry drive to accommodate a bus drop off area, permeable parking areas, and an integrated bioswale to treat stormwater run-off. Several event spaces are accommodated, both on the lawn overlooking the bay, and a more formal central courtyard space. The historic flagpole and stair way at terraces near the bottom of the hill will be restored, while a new path system will wind through the lawn terraces that will be converted to native sandplain prairie.
Landscape construction of Phase 1 is scheduled to begin spring of 2018.
Oudens Ello Architecture